Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on purchases made through them. Our content is not influenced by commissions.
PC cases are notorious for gathering dust easily. Dust build up can affect the performance of your computer so it is recommended to take precautions, especially in dusty environments.
Obviously keeping your PC in a dust-free room is the best option, but this isn’t always possible. In this guide, I have a few tips for managing dust and some recommendations for PC cases which are great for dusty environments.
Things To Consider
Before purchasing a PC case for a dusty environment, here are a few points you will want to consider.
Easily Accessible Dust Filters
Most PC cases will come with dust filters in one form or another. However, some are more effective than others. For a PC case in a dusty environment you should look for dust filters which can easily be accessed and removed so you can clean them regularly and stop them from getting clogged up.
You want to make sure you have a positive airflow when you have a PC in a dusty environment. This means there is more air being blown into the case than being blown out. This might seem counter-intuitive. Surely more air going into the case will bring more dust with it? Not so. With positive airflow, the majority of the air in the case is getting in through the fans – which are filtered. With negative airflow, a vacuum is created within the case and air is sucked in through any unfiltered gaps in the case, bringing dust with it.
Best Mid Tower Cases for Dusty Environments
ATX mid tower cases are the most common type of PC case. Below are our top picks for mid tower cases for dusty environments.
Fractal Design Define R5
- Optimally Designed For Silent Computing With High Density Noise-Reducing Material Throughout The Case For Maximum Sound...
- Extensive Water Cooling Support For A Case Of This Size; Housing Radiators Up To 420Mm In The Top And 360Mm In The Front.
- Equipped With New Tool-Less Moduvent Fan Slot Covers Allowing The User To Install More Fans If Desired Or Keep Fan Slots...
- Including Two Fractal Design Dynamic Gp14 140Mm Fans Developed For Superlative Airflow While Still Maintaining Low Noise...
Fractal design market the Define R5 as a gaming PC case. However it has quite a simple design and doesn’t bear a resemblance to a space ship like many gaming cases. The style should fit in with any room. There is a windowed version available though, so if you want to show off your flashy build, you do have that option. There are three colors to choose from: black, white and titanium. Although it is a mid-tower case, it is a large mid-tower so be sure to check the dimensions.
The case has dust filters on the top and bottom of the case. These are easy to access from the front of the case so regular cleaning won’t be a problem. The case also has good cable management due to it’s spacious size and well thought-out layout. It is a very quiet case too.
The biggest downside of this case is the price. If you like the style of the Define R5 and like that it is quiet and has good cable management, it is deffinetely worth it. However, there are cheaper alternatives suitable for dusty environments if you are on a tight budget.
Phanteks Eclipse Series P400
- Enthoo Eclipse ATX includes 1 x 120mm fans in front and 1 x 120mm fan in the rear. Ability to upgrade to additional fans is...
- Steel Exterior and Chassis. Clean interior - Hidden PSU and HDD's. 10 color RGB downlight + RGB power light with on/off...
- Optimal airflow - Direct airflow to CPU / GPU. 1x Phanteks 120mm Fan in front . 1x Phanteks 120mm Fan in rear. Supports...
- 2x Drop-N-Lock SSD brackets included. 4x Modular HDD Brackets (Optional)
The Phanteks Eclipse Series P400 is a great budget case for dusty environments. It has a sleek appearance and a tinted side window. This case is available in black, white and gray. There is also a “silent” version, the P400s which is definitely worth checking out if noise is an issue for you.
The case is spacious with lots of options for cable management however you do need to be careful with the cable ties as they are quite delicate. You should also be careful with the side window as it scratches fairly easily.
The fan mounts have magnetic dust covers which makes them easy to remove and clean on a regular basis.
- 90% steel construction - superior durability
- Simple Interior Layout - large space with a grommet-less steel cable management bar
- Detailed Engineering - Steel plated audio jacks, captive thumb screws, and over twenty cable management points
- GPU Clearance w/ Radiator: 334 mm, w/o Radiator: 364 mm, CPU Cooler: 161 mm 15.5lbs
The NZXT S340 is a more budget-friendly PC case suitable for dusty environments. It has a nice, simple design with a side window and is available in black or white.
Despite the relatively low price tag, the S340 is well built and has been designed with cable management in mind. Wires can be tucked away within the case to keep it looking neat.
The dust filters on the S340 are easy to remove so you regular cleaning won’t be a problem. However, you should note that the PSU dust filter isn’t the best and some people have found it does still let some dust in.
Corsair Obsidian Series Black 450D
- Includes two AF140L intake fans, and a rear AF120L exhaust
- Tool-free SSD cages hidden behind the motherboard tray. Case Dimensions- 19.4 x 8.2 x 19.5 inches
- Radiator and fan compatibility : Top: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm (360mm radiator) Front: 2 x 140mm or 2 x 120mm (2 x 140mm...
- Two USB 3.0 front panel connectors, plus headphone and microphone
The Corsair Obsidian Series Black 450D is a plain black case with a clean design and tinted side window.
Cable management is pretty good and the case includes cable ties to make it easier. However some people have found it doesn’t have enough cable tie loops. This isn’t a huge problem but may require a bit of extra planning.
All of the air intakes have removable dust covers which makes them easy to clean and keep the case as dust free as possible.
- Remarkably Clean: Next Generation 5.25-less Design
- An integrated power supply shroud completely conceals cables and increases cable management space up to 80%
- Radicator Support: 240mm 280mm or 360mm (front and top, the only case this small that can support 2x 360mm out of box
- PWM Fan Hub, New non-scratch paint, More HDD Space
The NZXT H440 has a unique design. The case is available in black and white, and you can choose from different colored trim. It is a fairly quite case.
The cable management is good and you can hide them behind the motherboard so you can’t see them through the tinted window. This keeps the case looking nice and tidy.
The dust filters are removable and easily accessible so you can regularly clean them no problem.
In conclusion, when buying a PC case for a dusty environment, you want to look for a case with good quality, removable filters so you can regularly clean them. You also need to keep a positive airflow within the case to make sure air is only entering the case through the filtered fans.
Last update on 2022-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API