Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on purchases made through them. Our content is not influenced by commissions.
Choosing the best monitor for your circumstances can be a difficult task. There are lots of different factors to consider: refresh rate, resolution, panel type etc. This guide should help you on your way to choosing the best monitor specifically for content creation.
When you’re choosing a monitor for content creation, the most important thing is to pick a monitor with an IPS panel for the best picture quality and color reproduction. I would also recommend to go with as high a resolution as possible and not worry too much about the refresh rate.
What Makes a Monitor Good for Content Creation?
The first thing you may be wondering is what makes a monitor good for content creation. Well, the main things you will want to consider are the panel type, resolution, and screen size.
When it comes to choosing a monitor for content creation, the most important thing is the panel type. You want to choose a monitor with an IPS panel.
There are three main types of panel. TN panels are more budget-friendly and have a really fast response time making them great for gaming, but the picture quality in TN panels is not very good. IPS panels are usually more expensive and they have a slower response rate, but the picture quality and color reproduction is much better (which is what you want for content creation). Then there are VA panels which sit somewhere in-between.
There are differences between IPS panels, and although even a budget IPS monitor will look better than a TN panel, you do have to invest in a fairly high end IPS monitor to get the best picture quality.
The other important thing to consider when choosing a monitor for content creation is the resolution. Ideally, you want to go as high as possible. 4K would be the best bet, followed by 1440p, then 1080p.
Monitors with highers resolutions can be quite expensive and they require fairly powerful PCs to run, so don’t worry too much about the resolution, but make sure you buy a monitor with an IPS panel.
Having a nice, big monitor can be super helpful when it comes to content creation, but don’t automatically go for the largest size possible. Screen size and resolution tie in with each other and you don’t want to choose a large monitor for a low resolution.
As a general rule of thumb, I would recommend a 24″ monitor for 1080p, 27″ monitor for 1440p, and 32″ monitor for 4K.
Ultrawide monitors can be a good idea for content creation as they give you a bit of extra room for multitasking.
Other Things to Consider
Now we’ve covered what to look for in a monitor for content creation, there are a couple of other things you need to take into consideration.
- Will you be gaming? (refresh rate) – If you will also be using the monitor for gaming (particularly fast-paced games), you will also benefit from a monitor with a high refresh rate, ideally around 144hz. Although TN panels are better for fast-paced gaming due to their fast response time, I would still choose an IPS panel because you really do need an IPS panel for content creation.
- Your PC specs – Finally, you need to take into account your PCs specs. This is particularly true if you will be gaming. For example, if you decide to buy a 1440p 144hz monitor but your PC can only get around 60FPS in the games you play, there’s no point in having 144hz over 60hz. In this case, you will need to choose between 1080p 144hz (better for gaming) and 1440p 60hz (better for content creation). GameDebate is a great website to get an idea of your PCs capabilities.
Best Monitors for Content Creation
Below you can find some great monitors for content creation. I’ve picked various types for different needs, so whether you’re looking for something budget-friendly or perhaps you will also be gaming, you should be able to find something that suits your situation.
- View files side-by-side with DualView. Easily compare photos and videos in specialized CAD/CAM, Darkroom or Animation display...
- Ergonomic features allows you to customize your viewing experience with a tilt, twist or turn. Adjust the screen height or...
- Keyboard Video Mouse (KVM) Switch allows users to display files, photos or videos from two different computers on a single...
- Eye care technology prevents eye strain, fatigue and irritation with Low Blue Light technology, Brightness Intelligence and...
- 21:9 UltraWide Curved QHD IPS Monitor
- sRGB over 99 percent/Color Calibrated
- USB 3.0 Quick Charge
- Height/Tilt Adjustable Stand; Screen Split 2.0 (PIP Mode)
- 27 Inches WQHD (2560 x 1440) widescreen with NVIDIA G SYNC technology
- Refresh rate: 144Hz (overclocking to 165Hz) Using display port
- Response time: 4ms, Pixel Pitch: 0. 233mm. Flicker less technology reduces annoying screen flickering that can cause eye...
- 2 x 2W speakers. Brightness: 350 nit. Panel technology: In plane switching (IPS) Technology. Tilt angle 5° to 35°. swivel...
- 21:9 UltraWide Full HD IPS Monitor
- sRGB over 99%.OS Compatibility-Windows
- Screen Split 2.0 (PIP Mode),Response Time:5ms GTG
- Game Mode and Black Stabilizer
Last update on 2020-08-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API